- HIGH SCHOOL TEAM EVENT TONIGHT: SUNSET CRUISE AT Oceanside SEA Center @ 5:45p SHARP
CONTEST RECAP FROM COACH JOHN
Well Sharks, we knew it wouldn't be easy. I'm extremely proud of the effort all of our surfers put into their heats, especially knowing we were the underdogs. The small, shifty weak, low tide conditions didn't help us either, but it's hard to blame the conditions when the other teams were absolutely shredding! In the end, we didn't end up in any Finals, heck we only had one surfer get a 3rd place (Vanessa in Womens Longboard)! The other teams were so well organized and their skill levels were simply way beyond ours. I heard one person describe the Mens Shortboard heats against San Clemente as "they have 9 Caueh's, but we only have one!" We also all got a dose of what true "teamwork" in a heat looks like - the other teams were masters at working together to block us out and find the best waves for themselves.
We did have one bright moment when Leon and Sean squeaked past Laguna in the first round of Bodyboard, but alas in the second round the other team did el rollos and open face 360s and one kid even got a really nice deep barrel. Ooooff!
The last thing I want to share is this: While we have great surfers on our Team, there is a limited number of us who take these contests as seriously as these other schools. A big factor is the available talent pool!! Malibu has a population of ~13,000. San Clemente has ~65,000, and almost 6-to-1 ratio of talent to choose from (i.e., for every Caueh we have, they have at least 6!). San Dieguito has a population of over 100,000, that's a 10-to-1 ratio!! Carlsbad has a population of ~32,000, almost 3 times the amount of potential talent. Dana Hills High School has 2,200 students compared to MHS with less than 500! Laguna is the closest town to our size with ~23,000 people, and that town is KNOWN for it's bodyboarding - our greatest achievement of the weekend was beating them!
Finally, i just want to say thank you to Kaya for helping run things for the event, all the parents who made the trip for a 15 minute chance to move on, and of course, to all our High School Sharks!! Keep up the practice and let's try hard to do better next year!!
Mens Shortboard vs San Clemente - LOST
Mens Longboard vs Dana Hills - LOST
Womens Shortboard vs San Dieguito - LOST
Womens Longboard vs Carlsbad - LOST
Coed Bodyboard vs Laguna Beach - WIN!!!!!!
Coed Bodyboard vs San Dieguito (Round Two) - LOST
HIGH SCHOOL STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS THIS SATURDAY!!
Please, please plan to stay near the contest site (Ocenaside Harbor) on Friday night, March 24th. This way we can all be prepared and nearby for Saturday's contest, and we can enjoy our Team Event AS A TEAM on Friday Night. The Team Sunset Cruise (launching at ~5:30p from the Oceanside SEA Center) is always a fun event where we discuss contest conditions and strategies, we get some team photos, and everyone gets a cool new perspective on the contest area.
Coaches are staying at the Oceanside Marina Suites, it's a 'good enough' place very close to the event. There are lots of other options. (Note for the future: Marina Del Mar has condos right on the contest site available through socalvacay.com, this is the absolute best housing option, but alas they require a 3 night minimum stay.)
PARKING AT THE CONTEST can be rough, especially for early heats. It's all metered parking, there is a lot right there at the site but it's small. But even the farthest parking lots are only a 5 minute walk.
-High School State Championships will be held in Oceanside, CA, on March 25th.
This will be a one day contest between 12 "coastal high school teams"
- GO SHARKS!!
PRACTICE UPDATE (2023-03-23)
WHEN: FRIDAY, March 24, 7a-8a
WHERE: ZUMA TOWER 13 (our usual spot)
WHAT TO EXPECT: 2'-3' clean, calm, low tide conditions. Honestly the sandbars have been moving around so much lately who knows what kind of shape we will see; it could be crumble, but it could be epic. YOU GOTTA GO TO KNOW!!! GO SHARKS!!
COMPETITION INFO (2023-03-08)
- Sadly the SSS League has confirmed that they will not be able to reschedule the latest cancelled contests (Zuma, which were rescheduled dates themselves)
- This means our seasons will end with only 4 contests instead of 5 (in 7 years this has only happened once before)
- This also means the Middle School Rankings are COMPLETE AND FINAL because all 4 existing results will be counted
- If (MS) or When (HS) you have qualified for a roster spot at States, you must confirm with Coach John or Kaya whether you will be competing or if your spot should be given to the next in line.
- High School Final Rankings will be determined when the March 11th (last) contest is complete - let's hope it doesn't get cancelled!!!
- See the Contest Info Pages for full rankings analysis for both MS and HS
- FINAL SEASON RANKINGS DETERMINE WHO QUALIFIES FOR STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS!!
The Malibu Sharks Surf Team is a community organization that supports the physical and mental development of local children through surfing. Our program develops confidence, independence, strength of mind and body, and STOKE in all our kids. Participants choose their level of involvement and everyone progresses at their own pace.
The only requirements for joining the Malibu Sharks Surf Team are:
- You have your own equipment
- You're willing to get in the water on your own and charge the waves!
"We don't teach you how to surf, we teach you how to surf better."
John Cross - President, Head Coach, email@example.com or 310-717-6830
Kaya Ramos - Operations Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org or 310-980-5910
Joe Rickabaugh - Assistant Coach, Beach Safety Manager
Susan Emerling - Secretary
Darrell Rae - Treasurer, Assistant Coach
Dale Rhodes - Vice President, Assistant Coach
- Malibu Sharks Surf Team Registration is always open: https://forms.gle/8zAVmuhJLzEhvr9M9
NOTE: Remember to complete the registration form THEN pay in person or online below
(FYI we prefer cash and checks because online payments take fees, and we're in no hurry so don't sweat it!)
ANOTHER NOTE: If you intend to compete in the SSS contests, you must register for the full season.
- The only requirement for being on the team is to have fun!!! Well that and the surfer must have their own equipment and be willing to tackle the waves on their own. They can tackle the inside whitewater or the outside bombs, we coach every kid to improve their skill set.
- Our program this year will focus on improving our surfers' ocean safety knowledge, wave riding skills, and contest heat strategies and tactics. Practices will include a variety of on-the-beach and in-the-water activities designed to help our kids become great surfers and great people! (HINT: Get ready to hold your breath under the waves!)
- THERE IS NEVER AN OBLIGATION TO ATTEND PRACTICE, but if you want to compete in the SSS we expect you to attend practice as often as possible, and we will seed those who show more commitment to the practices. Our practices will include many more practice heats this season, and those will be critical for developing winning surfers.
- With regrets for those who loved the ISPE program, we will not be supporting ISPE this season. If you don't know what ISPE is, this doesn't apply to you lol.
Zuma Beach, Tower 12, Malibu, California 90265, United States
For Questions you can contact these folks: - John Cross, Head Coach, at (310) 717-6830 or email@example.com - Kaya Ramos, Operations Manager, at 310-980-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Coach John created a short video during the Covid season to explain the 4 main areas of our program, but it's still just as useful this season so we're keeping it here. If you still have questions (which you will), email or text Coach John (info above), or just ask him at a practice. GO SHARKS!
- Gavin Cross (310-467-2214) - Well known MHS student and Surf Team star, great with kids and reasonable prices
- Maxine Kelly (747-222-9197) - Kind, caring and cheerful, this MHS student and Surf Team member is a great mentor for her students
- Mitch Taylor (310-905-2887) - Local legend, accomplished competitive surfer on short and longboards, great for the truly serious competitors who want to win
- Travis Stassart (805-300-4703) - When you want the best, expect nothing less from Travis. Kids, adults, shortboards to SUPs, the best all around instructor in town.