- THURSDAY PRACTICE IS ON and it's Emmett's birthday and his mom is bringing donuts so... BE THERE!!!!!
- RIP CURL WETSUIT ORDER DEADLINE HAS BEEN MOVED TO DEC 13 - GET IN THERE AND ORDER NOW!
- MS ROSTERS POSTED ABOVE; HS ROSTERS WILL BE POSTED THURSDAY EVENING
PRACTICE UPDATE (2023-12-06)
- THURSDAY IS ON!
- HIGH SCHOOL MENS SHORTBOARD SEEDING HEAT WILL BE HELD!!!!
HS MSB SEEDING HEAT 1 @ 7:15a (Top 2 get spots at Ventura Point Sunday, Dec 10th)
- Dakota (sick?)
- Hudson J
- Hudson B
- Lucas W (injured?)
WHEN: Thurs, Dec 7 @ 7a-8a (note the later start)
WHERE: ZUMA TOWER 13
WHAT TO EXPECT: 2'-4' maybe clean, but maybe wild and wooly waves. Swell definitely picked up but the wind got crazy Wed afternoon and not sure what Thurs morning will bring. No matter what, it will be challenging! HS MENS SHORTBOARD HEAT IS ON!! TOP TWO GET A SPOT IN THIS WEEKEND'S CONTEST!
Aaaaaalright Sharks!!!! Quick assessment of our season so far from Coach John....
If you've watched our Instagram account (MalibuSharks), you've already seen what an amazing job our Sharks did at Ventura Point this past weekend. I am very proud of how well our team approached each heat with knowledge of the lineup and conditions, and surfed with a specific strategy. Most of the time it paid off, but many times it didnt too. And that's what we have to work on!! I am so excited with the talent on our team this year, but if you look at the ratings.....after the first 2 contests we're losing to Cabrillo in Middle School once again. And we didnt gain any ground in Ventura. Yes we hold the #1 and #2 Boys Shortboard spots with Dashiel and Zion, but spots 3 through 7 are Cabrillo. They have 6 top ten boys shortboards to our 3. The other divisions are more balanced or in our favor, but the Boys Shortboard division drives the most team points, hence the focus there.
On the High School side we're closer in terms of individual rankings, with 3 top ten mens shortboarders, same with Santa Barbara while Palisades has 2 and Westlake 1. We need to take out those SB teams! Our Womens Shortboarders are dominating though, with 3 of the top 5 spots.
Bottom line is we need to focus each Shark on their core competency. Maybe not let kids get worn out doing multiple divisions. And our HS Teams need to get better at that first round format where they should be working together to block out the other surfers.
In the end I am still extremely proud to be part of this Team and the amazing kids and families involved. Grwat job Sharks, keep it up! GO SHARKS!
Check out the rankings here under the LA-SB Divisions: https://surfsss.org/ratings-2023-24/
Registration is ALWAYS OPEN!! Click here to Register: https://forms.gle/aiX5Bwi1eA7Sx2fBA
REGISTRATION FEES ARE...
- Full Season (Sept-May): $950 cash or check (required for all competitors)
- Fall Season (Sept-Dec): $500 cash or check
- Please make checks payable to "Malibu Sharks Surf Team Inc." (or pay online at the link in our top banner, which includes a service charge)
THE MALIBU SHARKS SURF TEAM IS ALWAYS ACTIVELY SEEKING SPONSORSHIP PARTNERS!!
CONTACT COACH JOHN TO DISCUSS!
The Malibu Sharks Surf Team is a community organization that supports the physical and mental development of local children through surfing. Our program develops confidence, independence, strength of mind and body, and STOKE in all our kids. Participants can choose their level of involvement and everyone is encouraged to improve at their own pace.
The only requirements for joining the Malibu Sharks Surf Team are:
- You have your own equipment
- You're willing to get in the water on your own and charge the waves!
"We don't teach you how to surf, we teach you how to surf better."
John Cross - President, Head Coach, email@example.com or 310-717-6830
Joe Rickabaugh - Assistant Coach, Beach Safety Manager
- The Surf Team Program runs from September to May
- Team practices run twice a week, typically Tues and Thurs mornings at Zuma Tower 13 before school
- Our Team competes in the Scholastic Surf Series (SSS) in the L.A.-to-Santa Barbara Middle School and High School Divisions. Go to http://surfsss.org for more info and contest schedules.
- THERE IS NEVER AN OBLIGATION TO ATTEND PRACTICE, but if you want to compete in the SSS we expect you to attend practice as often as possible, and we will seed those who show more commitment to the practices. Our practices will include many more practice heats this season, and those will be critical for developing winning surfers.
- Full Year Team members receive a complete gear package; Fall or Spring Session members receive a limited gear package
Coach John created a short video during the Covid season to explain the 4 main areas of our program, but it's still just as useful this season so we're keeping it here. If you still have questions (which you will), email or text Coach John (info above), or just ask him at a practice. GO SHARKS!
- Gavin Cross (310-467-2214) - Well known MHS student and Surf Team star, great with kids and reasonable prices
- Maxine Kelly (747-222-9197) - Kind, caring and cheerful, this MHS student and Surf Team member is a great mentor for her students
- Mitch Taylor (310-905-2887) - Local legend, accomplished competitive surfer on short and longboards, great for the truly serious competitors who want to win
- Travis Stassart (805-300-4703) - When you want the best, expect nothing less from Travis. Kids, adults, shortboards to SUPs, the best all around instructor in town.