ALL Competitors, register here: https://surfsss.org/register-faq/
- Choose "Malibu MS" or "Malibu HS" in the School drop-down menu
- There is no payment necessary, your team registration fees cover the individual competitor costs
- WHO WILL BE FIRST TO REGISTER?? WHO WILL BE LAST?? GO SHARKS!!!!
PRACTICE UPDATE (2023-09-25)
WHEN: Tuesday, Sept 26th @ 6:30a-8a
WHERE: ZUMA TOWER 13
WHAT TO EXPECT: Very small, 1'-2' surf, clean with a higher tide but not the kind of conditions we want our kids putting their contest hopes on the line for. We still have 2 weeks before the first contest, so we will hold the HS Mens Shortboard Seeding Heats asap.
ANNOUNCING AN AMAZING NEW OPPORTUNITY FOR OUR SURFERS!!!
Our team has been invited to participate in an advanced release of a new AI-driven surf analysis platform!!! Coach John is super excited about this technology, he's reviewed it's benefits with the software provider and he thinks it's SUPER RAD!
Check out https://www.lotussurfing.com/surf-teams for a summary of the solution.
To participate, each surfer must purchase one of two annual subscription options. We can't publish the pricing here, but it's very reasonable, and you get a refurbished Apple Watch because that's a critical piece of the solution (or if you have an Apple Watch, you get a solid discount on the subscription).
Please email Coach John with the name of the interested Shark. We want to setup a zoom review of the solution with interested participants asap, and hopefully get this amazing technology into our practice lineup quickly.
Registration is STILL OPEN!! Click here to Register: https://forms.gle/aiX5Bwi1eA7Sx2fBA
REGISTRATION FEES ARE DUE SEPT 15th SO WE HAVE TIME TO PAY THE LEAGUE
- Full Season (Sept-May): $950 cash or check (required for all competitors)
- Fall Season (Sept-Dec): $500 cash or check
- Please make checks payable to "Malibu Sharks Surf Team Inc." (or pay online below, which includes a service charge)
THE MALIBU SHARKS SURF TEAM IS ACTIVELY SEEKING SPONSORSHIP PARTNERS!!
WE NEED TO RAISE A LOT OF MONEY TO ENSURE THIS SEASON WILL BE SUPPORTED EFFECTIVELY. IF YOU'D LIKE TO SPONSOR THE TEAM AND HAVE YOUR BUSINESS LOGO ON OUR GEAR, PLEASE REACH OUT TO COACH JOHN.
The Malibu Sharks Surf Team is a community organization that supports the physical and mental development of local children through surfing. Our program develops confidence, independence, strength of mind and body, and STOKE in all our kids. Participants can choose their level of involvement and everyone is encouraged to improve at their own pace.
The only requirements for joining the Malibu Sharks Surf Team are:
- You have your own equipment
- You're willing to get in the water on your own and charge the waves!
"We don't teach you how to surf, we teach you how to surf better."
John Cross - President, Head Coach, firstname.lastname@example.org or 310-717-6830
Joe Rickabaugh - Assistant Coach, Beach Safety Manager
- The Surf Team Program runs from September to May
- Team practices run twice a week, typically Tues and Thurs mornings at Zuma Tower 13 before school
- Our Team competes in the Scholastic Surf Series (SSS) in the L.A.-to-Santa Barbara Middle School and High School Divisions. Go to http://surfsss.org for more info and contest schedules.
- THERE IS NEVER AN OBLIGATION TO ATTEND PRACTICE, but if you want to compete in the SSS we expect you to attend practice as often as possible, and we will seed those who show more commitment to the practices. Our practices will include many more practice heats this season, and those will be critical for developing winning surfers.
- Full Year Team members receive a complete gear package; Fall or Spring Session members receive a limited gear package
Coach John created a short video during the Covid season to explain the 4 main areas of our program, but it's still just as useful this season so we're keeping it here. If you still have questions (which you will), email or text Coach John (info above), or just ask him at a practice. GO SHARKS!
- Gavin Cross (310-467-2214) - Well known MHS student and Surf Team star, great with kids and reasonable prices
- Maxine Kelly (747-222-9197) - Kind, caring and cheerful, this MHS student and Surf Team member is a great mentor for her students
- Mitch Taylor (310-905-2887) - Local legend, accomplished competitive surfer on short and longboards, great for the truly serious competitors who want to win
- Travis Stassart (805-300-4703) - When you want the best, expect nothing less from Travis. Kids, adults, shortboards to SUPs, the best all around instructor in town.