Aaaaaand we're back!! Time to do some middle school seeding heats and prepare for this Saturday's contest!
- Practice Update Below
- Contest Schedule Update Below
- Wetsuit Order Update Below
PRACTICE UPDATE (2022-11-28)
WHEN: TUESDAY 2022-11-29, 6:30a-8a
WHERE: Zuma Beach, Tower 13 (by the bathrooms, on the north side of the sand berm)
WHAT TO EXPECT: 1'-2' small but good shape waves with a perfect and calm winds - it's gonna be great for EVERYONE! The temps have dropped again so it's gonna be chilly, and Coach John and Kaya will be focused on the Middle School Boys Shortboard Seeding heats (see below for details), but it's going to be a beautiful morning so come on out!
Middle School Boys Shortboard Seeding Heats Schedule Summary (details below):
6:30a - Arrive and get some warm up waves
7a - Semi 2 (5 man, 15 Minutes)
7:20a - Repercharge Heat (5 man, 15 Minutes)
TEAM COMPETITION INFO (2022-11-25)
Zuma Contests have been rescheduled!! Sadly not at Zuma, but at least it wasn't cancelled outright.
- Middle School Update Contest will be on Dec 3rd at Summers Beach, which is ONE WEEK AWAY!!
- Our seeding heat results will apply to this contest and not Ventura Point
- Contest #3 at Ventura Point is on Dec 10th, so that's only one week to hold seeding heats if need be
- End result, the next two weeks of practices will be critical!
MS SEEDING HEAT UPDATE
- We held Boys SB Semi 1 on Tues, Nov 22. London (1st), Remington (2nd) and Eli (3rd) took the top 3 spots and are in the comp on Dec 3rd
- MS Boys SB Semi 2 will be held at 7a on 2022-11-29 and will have these 5 surfers (Top 3 will get contest spots for Dec 3rd, bottom 2 go to Repercharge):
- MS Boys SB Repercharge will be held at 7:20a on 2022-11-29 and will have these surfers (Top 2 will earn contest spots for Dec 3rd):
- TBD from Semi 2
- TBD from Semi 2
- High School Update Contest will be on Jan 21st at Ventura Point
- Our next HS contest is Dec 11 at Ventura Point
- Seeding heats will be held on Thursday, Dec 1st, if necessary
OTHER CONTEST INFO:
(YES, the new SSS MS contest is at the same place and day as the non-SSS contest below! The League says "there's enough room for both", and maybe that means our surfers can do both too?)
CHECK IT OUT!!! THERE'S AN UPCOMING INDIVIDUALS PRIVATE SURF CONTEST HAPPENING DEC 3rd!
Surf Contest December 3rd at 7:30AM At Summers Beach (~2 miles north of Emma Wood State Beach)
For more info text or call Karon @ 805-570-1638
$40.00 per division- please venmo fee to @currenmethod
In venmo memo put Full Name, Age, What division you want to surf ( short or long or both ) number and then text Karen @ 805-570-1638 with a screen shot of the venmo confirmation.
14 Under Girls Short Board
14 Under Boys Short Board
15-18 Girls Short Board
15-18 Boys Short Board
14 Under Girls Long Board
14 Under Boys Long Board
15-18 Girls Long Board
15-18 Mens Long Board
The Malibu Sharks Surf Team is a community organization that supports the physical and mental development of local children through surfing. Our program develops confidence, independence, strength of mind and body, and STOKE in all our kids. Participants choose their level of involvement and everyone progresses at their own pace.
The only requirements for joining the Malibu Sharks Surf Team are:
- You have your own equipment
- You're willing to get in the water on your own and charge the waves!
"We don't teach you how to surf, we teach you how to surf better."
John Cross - President, Head Coach, email@example.com or 310-717-6830
Kaya Ramos - Operations Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org or 310-980-5910
Joe Rickabaugh - Assistant Coach, Beach Safety Manager
Susan Emerling - Secretary
Darrell Rae - Treasurer, Assistant Coach
Dale Rhodes - Vice President, Assistant Coach
- Malibu Sharks Surf Team Registration is always open: https://forms.gle/8zAVmuhJLzEhvr9M9
NOTE: Remember to complete the registration form THEN pay in person or online below
(FYI we prefer cash and checks because online payments take fees, and we're in no hurry so don't sweat it!)
ANOTHER NOTE: If you intend to compete in the SSS contests, you must register for the full season.
- The only requirement for being on the team is to have fun!!! Well that and the surfer must have their own equipment and be willing to tackle the waves on their own. They can tackle the inside whitewater or the outside bombs, we coach every kid to improve their skill set.
- Our program this year will focus on improving our surfers' ocean safety knowledge, wave riding skills, and contest heat strategies and tactics. Practices will include a variety of on-the-beach and in-the-water activities designed to help our kids become great surfers and great people! (HINT: Get ready to hold your breath under the waves!)
- THERE IS NEVER AN OBLIGATION TO ATTEND PRACTICE, but if you want to compete in the SSS we expect you to attend practice as often as possible, and we will seed those who show more commitment to the practices. Our practices will include many more practice heats this season, and those will be critical for developing winning surfers.
- With regrets for those who loved the ISPE program, we will not be supporting ISPE this season. If you don't know what ISPE is, this doesn't apply to you lol.
Coach John created a short video during the Covid season to explain the 4 main areas of our program, but it's still just as useful this season so we're keeping it here. If you still have questions (which you will), email or text Coach John (info above), or just ask him at a practice. GO SHARKS!
- Gavin Cross (310-467-2214) - Well known MHS student and Surf Team star, great with kids and reasonable prices
- Maxine Kelly (747-222-9197) - Kind, caring and cheerful, this MHS student and Surf Team member is a great mentor for her students
- Mitch Taylor (310-905-2887) - Local legend, accomplished competitive surfer on short and longboards, great for the truly serious competitors who want to win
- Travis Stassart (805-300-4703) - When you want the best, expect nothing less from Travis. Kids, adults, shortboards to SUPs, the best all around instructor in town.