END OF SEASON TEAM "SURFEMONY" (SURF AND AWARD CEREMONY) IS TOMORROW MORNING!!
WHEN: Sat, May 27th. Surf 7:30a-9a, Ceremony 9a-10a
WHERE: ZUMA TOWER 12 (look for the tent!)
WHAT TO EXPECT: 1'-3' fun, mixed swell direction shoulders! Might be a bit cooler again, but the waves will be perfect for all our Sharks to enjoy the last team surf session of the season!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO VOLUNTEERED TO SUPPORT THIS AWESOME EVENT!!
Vintage Grocers - Coffee, Water Bottles, Cookie Trays, Plates and Forks
Jessica (Emmett's Mom) - Pancake Chef
Gisselle (Levi's Mom) - Fresh Fruit
Marie (Carmen's Mom) - Gatorades
Arpie (Keira's Mom) - InstaGram Communications (ALL YEAR LONG!!)
SURPRISE!! Following the "Surfemony", the Borress Family has offered to have the team over to their house for a pool party, including a taco truck!! The address will be shared at the beach event, but plan to attend from 11-2!!
TRIPLE CROWN OF SUMMER 2023 PROGRAM REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!!
The Malibu Sharks "Triple Crown of Summer 2023" Program is a 9 week program that will run from June 13 to August 10th. The program consists of 2 early morning practices per week (typically Tues and Thurs from 6:30a-8a). Every practice focuses on surf competition skills and includes verbal training, physical training, and lots of practice heats. The program is broken into three 3-week segments, with an official competition at the end of each segment. Winners of each contest will be rewarded, and all 3 contest results will be tallied at the end of the program and a Triple Crown of Malibu Champion will be crowned!
This program does not conflict with other programs like LA County Jr Guards, Malibu Makos, etc.
STEP 1: Click here to Register: https://forms.gle/fBkFm3WbhwCtDweA6
STEP 2: Pay online below (additional $35 service fee), or bring cash/check ($750 made out to "Malibu Sharks Surf Team") to first practice or give to Coach John anytime before June 13.
- Check out the NEW Winter Highlights Video!!! Below and linked on our IG account (Malibu Sharks)
PRACTICE UPDATE (2023-05-24)
WHEN: THURSDAY, 5/25/23 @ 7a-8a
WHERE: ZUMA TOWER 13
WHAT TO EXPECT: Clean 1'-2' mid-dropping-tide waves breaking on the outside sandbar. Challenging but not for our Sharks!! Come and get it!!!
COMPETITION INFO (2023-05-15)
MS State Championships Recap from Coach John:
What a great job our Sharks did this past weekend in Huntington Beach. While we didn't come away with any trophies, it was an exciting weekend with tons of excitement and ultimately a lot of lessons in defeat. The great news is in all divisions we had a greater-than-fifty-percent advance rate, meaning more of our Sharks made it into the second round than got knocked out right away. Great job Team! On the bummer side, we were once again stymied by the venue - our Sharks just aren't as adept at navigating the Huntington Beach surf as most of our competitors. The swell was big, the tide was swinging, the current was a factor....each surfer had to choose a strategy and hope it panned out. For example, if you chose to surf the inside break, you really had to find the diamonds in the rough; and if you chose to surf outside, you had to pray more than one set came in during your heat, and that you were in position for it. Overall I'm very proud of our Team and every Shark's performance!! Sure we have lots of work to do to make the Finals some day, but that's our goal and that's what our practices will be focused on moving forward. GO SHARKS!!!
The Malibu Sharks Surf Team is a community organization that supports the physical and mental development of local children through surfing. Our program develops confidence, independence, strength of mind and body, and STOKE in all our kids. Participants choose their level of involvement and everyone progresses at their own pace.
The only requirements for joining the Malibu Sharks Surf Team are:
- You have your own equipment
- You're willing to get in the water on your own and charge the waves!
"We don't teach you how to surf, we teach you how to surf better."
John Cross - President, Head Coach, email@example.com or 310-717-6830
Kaya Ramos - Operations Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org or 310-980-5910
Joe Rickabaugh - Assistant Coach, Beach Safety Manager
Susan Emerling - Secretary
Darrell Rae - Treasurer, Assistant Coach
Dale Rhodes - Vice President, Assistant Coach
- Malibu Sharks Surf Team Registration is always open: https://forms.gle/8zAVmuhJLzEhvr9M9
NOTE: Remember to complete the registration form THEN pay in person or online below
(FYI we prefer cash and checks because online payments take fees, and we're in no hurry so don't sweat it!)
ANOTHER NOTE: If you intend to compete in the SSS contests, you must register for the full season.
- The only requirement for being on the team is to have fun!!! Well that and the surfer must have their own equipment and be willing to tackle the waves on their own. They can tackle the inside whitewater or the outside bombs, we coach every kid to improve their skill set.
- Our program this year will focus on improving our surfers' ocean safety knowledge, wave riding skills, and contest heat strategies and tactics. Practices will include a variety of on-the-beach and in-the-water activities designed to help our kids become great surfers and great people! (HINT: Get ready to hold your breath under the waves!)
- THERE IS NEVER AN OBLIGATION TO ATTEND PRACTICE, but if you want to compete in the SSS we expect you to attend practice as often as possible, and we will seed those who show more commitment to the practices. Our practices will include many more practice heats this season, and those will be critical for developing winning surfers.
- With regrets for those who loved the ISPE program, we will not be supporting ISPE this season. If you don't know what ISPE is, this doesn't apply to you lol.
Zuma Beach, Tower 12, Malibu, California 90265, United States
For Questions you can contact these folks: - John Cross, Head Coach, at (310) 717-6830 or email@example.com - Kaya Ramos, Operations Manager, at 310-980-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Coach John created a short video during the Covid season to explain the 4 main areas of our program, but it's still just as useful this season so we're keeping it here. If you still have questions (which you will), email or text Coach John (info above), or just ask him at a practice. GO SHARKS!
- Gavin Cross (310-467-2214) - Well known MHS student and Surf Team star, great with kids and reasonable prices
- Maxine Kelly (747-222-9197) - Kind, caring and cheerful, this MHS student and Surf Team member is a great mentor for her students
- Mitch Taylor (310-905-2887) - Local legend, accomplished competitive surfer on short and longboards, great for the truly serious competitors who want to win
- Travis Stassart (805-300-4703) - When you want the best, expect nothing less from Travis. Kids, adults, shortboards to SUPs, the best all around instructor in town.